Monday, June 29, 2009

this photograph was taken from you - 3

the edge

I would not go up those stairs. I took one look. At the stairs. At you. I said, "No way." It wasn't because of you. It was because of the vertigo. But you were sitting on the steps. You were beautiful. And sad. And, I'm sure, a little annoyed that a stranger was taking a photograph from you. But I had to have it. Indeed, I took several photographs from you.

This is but one. There will be more to follow.

I know you saw me. You looked at me and turned away. Perhaps you thought I was merely taking photographs of the steps. The impossibility of the steps. But you also knew I was taking photographs from you.

Did you not say anything because we have a language barrier? We don't. I can read your emotions in any language. As you knew I would not go up those steps--as you felt my fear--I felt your sadness, your aloneness. I'm sure you were relieved when I turned and walked away.

You will probably never see this photograph that I have taken from you, but I hope you somehow know that you are not alone.

4 comments:

  1. Love.
    Kelly Arbuckle, you are one rad lady, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful. I love that are using the idea of taking a photograph from someone. Really great, Gfunk.

    ReplyDelete